History

 

1844
The first Catholic event takes place in Cooperstown when Fr. Michael Gilbride preaches in the Baptist Meeting House

1847
Portion of the See of New York is declared the Diocese of Albany. The Rt. Rev. John McCloskey becomes its first Bishop. Fr. Gilbride offering the very first Mass in September at the home of a James McNally

1849
Fr. M.B. Constantine is assigned to serve Cooperstown and surrounding area Catholics. 1849-1850

1850
Fr. M.C. Kenny replaces Fr. Constantine. 1850-1852 It is during his pastorate that the first church is constructed

1851
The first Catholic church edifice is built on Susquehanna Avenue near the corner of Elm Street.

1852
Father Jonathan Furlong is Pastor from 1852 – 1855

1855
Rev P. Fitzpatrick is Pastor from 1855 – 1860

1860
Rev William Carroll is Pastor from 1860 – 1863

1862
About two acres of land are purchased at the west end of town for a cemetery (the Irish Hill Cemetery)

1863
One-half acre of land is purchased (present church grounds) but lost shortly thereafter through foreclosure. A smaller lot on the corner of Elm and Delaware is then purchased. Rev Clark is Pastor from 1863 – 1865

More

1902
The final portion of the church’s mortgage and floating debt is paid

1905
The side galleries are removed.
The Gothic top over the sanctuary is installed and the woodwork within the church is completely refinished

1905    
Inside St Mary’s Church – Newly Renovated

1909
Rev. Michael Mooney was pastor 1909-1914

1915
Annual lawn feis, very popular for a time, are being held for the first time. Rev. John C. Carey was pastor 1915 – 1919

1917
Francis King of Hartwick Seminary is ordained, celebrating his first Mass on June 29.
The Holy Name Society is organized

1919
Two of the Tyrolese stained-glass windows (nearest the altar, one on each side) are installed

1919
Rev Crowe was pastor from 1919 – 1933

1920
The Index Cemetery land is purchased

1926
The Index Cemetery is first used

1928
The confessional at the rear of the church is installed

1932
Eight additional Tyrolese stained-glass windows are installed

More

2000
Fr John P. Rosson is appointed on 21 June 2000 and installed as Pastor on 8 September 2000, Nativity of Mary with 10 priests concelebrating Mass of Installation. Fr. Jeffrey Sturmer, Diocese of Buffalo, preached the homily at Installation

2000
Capital Campaign – “Together in Faith” is lauched with a St. Mary’s goal of $307,000 to be divided 60/40 between Diocese and parish

2000
Dec 3rd , St Mary’s WebSite www.stmaryscoop.org is created

2001
May 19th, 2001 First Communion with Father John P. Rosson

2001
October 26, 2001 Special Blessing for a Firefighters newborn at the Mass with NYC Fireman from the World Trade Center Disaster

2001
October 2001 – Parish Mission entitled “Symbols of Faith” with Father Kevin MacDonald CssR

2002
Father John R. Sise died March 19 2002. He served as pastor of St. Mary’s for twenty-two years from 1970-1992. Fr. Sise was buried from St. Mary’s, Saturday, March 23rd after being waked in the Church

2002
May 2002 – First Communion with Father John P. Rosson

2002
June 2002 – The first issue of St Mary’s Newsletter “THE WINDOW” is published

2002
October 2002 – Parish Mission “Journey to God” with Father Kenan Peters, CP

More